Obesity, or being overweight, may result in skin issues for a variety of reasons. Acanthosis nigricans, which are black, velvety patches of the neck and body folds, may be brought on by hormonal changes, whereas stretch marks may be caused by stretching of the skin.
Excessive pressure on the leg veins can result in varicose veins, dermatitis, ulcers, capillaritis, fluid retention, leg edema, and even ulcers. Retained moisture in body folds promotes bacterial and fungal development, which can cause skin rashes, possible disintegration, and several illnesses, including intertrigo. Lastly, the added weight may cause the foot to grow corns and calluses.
Read on to know the best pigmentation and Fat Reduction Treatment options.
How is skin health affected by obesity?
Obesity is known to affect normal skin function and cause the following physiologic abnormalities in the skin:
- Irregular production of skin oil
- Alterations in skin barrier function
- Reduced shape and synthesis of collagen
- Delayed healing of a wound
Hyperinsulinism and Insulin Resistance:
Those who are overweight or obese are substantially more likely to experience insulin resistance, which frequently results in type 2 diabetes mellitus or metabolic syndrome. The pancreas generates more insulin when there is insulin resistance, but the fat and muscle cells' insulin receptors are unable to work properly to assist remove glucose from the circulation.
As a result, the bloodstream's glucose levels rise. More and more insulin is created as a result of elevated glucose levels, which sets off a vicious cycle whereby both insulin production and blood glucose levels rise.
Increased adipose (fat) tissue levels are considered to have a major role in insulin resistance in obese people. Obesity affects up to 90% of people with type 2 diabetes.
Acanthosis nigricans is characterized by velvety-appearing dark brown or violet plaques that are most frequently found on the sides or back of the neck, the armpits, and the groin region. A survey of the scientific literature revealed that acanthosis nigricans is the most prevalent illness affecting overweight and obese people. One research indicated that acanthosis nigricans affected overweight children as well as over 75% of those who were obese. High levels of the protein insulin-like growth factor 1 are a result of high insulin levels, such as those found in individuals with insulin resistance.
Getting rid of Pigment:
Dark spots of skin emerge due to the changed pigmentary condition known as hyperpigmentation. This may occur for several causes, including protracted sun exposure, the cumulative effects of aging, or even as a result of severe acne or another inflammatory skin disease. The main cause is an imbalance in the synthesis of melanin. It's crucial to start therapy as soon as possible.
Although hyperpigmentation is not a major problem in and of itself, it is nevertheless vital to get it examined and treated since it might be a sign of a more serious problem. Home treatments often function both as a preventative measure and a treatment for minor hyperpigmentation.
In mild situations, the dermatologist could suggest topical or oral medicine, and in severe cases, interventions like procedures or surgery might be needed.
Generally, you can get the best Pigmentation Treatment in Singapore very easily. It's crucial to follow the correct procedure to avoid endangering your skin more.
In this section, we covered the top 3 methods for treating hyperpigmentation.
- This laser treatment was performed by a professional. Laser beams are directed at the hyperpigmented regions to remove the melanin pigment. It is sometimes referred to as the resurfacing procedure. Ablative and non-ablative laser treatments are also available. The latter is a softer operation that doesn't require any recovery time, but the former removes the problematic skin layers to work.
- The use of chemical peels is another procedural therapy. These peels target and cure hyperpigmentation more successfully because of the higher acid content. Chemical peels can be purchased over the counter or only administered by dermatologists. The clinical version produces better and more rapid results. Chemical peels can cause negative effects including redness, irritation, burns, and even scarring if they are not done correctly or by a professional, especially if you have sensitive skin. It is usually preferable to speak with a doctor before choosing a chemical peel.
- The face acids function by exfoliating the epidermis. They smooth and brighten your skin. The majority of these are sold over the counter. Alpha hydroxy acids, also known as AHAs, vitamin C, glycolic acid, trichloroacetic acid, salicylic acid, azelaic acid, and kojic acid are some of the most well-liked skin acids. Face acids, like lightening creams, are most helpful on milder instances of hyperpigmentation, however, they may be somewhat more potent than over-the-counter lightening creams. For lighter skin tones, face acids are a useful treatment option.